Saturday 21 May 2011

Arthritis Ireland's Get Your Joints in Motion 2011

Arthritis Ireland : Celebrating 30 Years : 1981-2011
Saturday 7th May 2011 : 11am - 12.15pm, Walked 5km


Woke up at 5am, got the Galway to Dublin train at 6:35am, arrived in Heuston Station at 8:55am. Got the mini-bus from Conyngham Rd to Furze Rd in the Phoenix Park where the 5km would take place. 


Phoenix Park Walk Plan

I was one of the early ones to arrive. Felt quite nervous arriving, as everyone else seemed to be volunteers. Met Louise, the organizer of the Get Your Joints in Motion event, and we chatted about the organisation, raising money and awareness for Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis / Fibromyalgia affecting the younger age group. She introduced me to Laura, who started up the Young Arthritis Network last November 2010. 


We chatted about how the group was looking for members from around the country to connect with them via meeting places, emails, Facebook, etc. I told her that I hoped to raise more awareness about Fibromyalgia, and hopefully help raise more money for their group. She said that she had Arthritis herself, and I chatted to another volunteer that had  Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. They told me how tough it was at times to get up and do things, but they were so happy to be a part of this day. Sending Laura and the YAN team well wishes in the future, and hope there are members that want to start something in Galway city, as well as other counties. 

Around 400 or so people turned up for the 2.5km/5km walk, quite a lot of young people participated in the walk which was fantastic. Just before we started on our walk, Senator David Norris joined us for a little Zumba dance, to warm our feet up. He is such a character, and he cheered the walking group on. Once the walk started, he walked alongside us, chatting to various different people. I would have chatted with him, but felt especially nervous being on my own, so I wore headphones and listened to good paced music. 


One of the girls doing a Zumba dance class to get us warmed up
Laura (centre) and David Norris (right) starting us on our walk

I was so surprised when the walk ended. Nothing strained, nothing annoying me. Felt like I made a different somewhere. Got my medal and goodie bag, and stood beside a tree for an hour, waiting for a mini-bus to bring me back to Conyngnham Rd. The soles of my feet usually throb after a hard walk, so could not do the touristy thing in Dublin. That was a waste, because I was free from 1:30pm, and had my ticket home to Galway for 5:35pm. A whole 4 hours of waiting, but sure, it was worth it.

After finishing the 5km walk
My walking number and medal :)


I raised €95 for Arthritis Ireland, and hope it helps somewhere. Bring on next year's Get Your Joints in Motion :)

No comments: