Monday 20 July 2009

Memories of my Grandmothers...

A nice thought strung into my mind as I woke up this morning... I remembered Mamo's soft hands... She had the softest hands I'd ever felt...

I had two grandmothers growing up, one we called "Mamo" who lived beside us, and the other called "Mamo Gavin", which took us 20 minutes to drive to her place. They were the nicest people in the world you could ever meet. But, then, everyone's Grandmother is the nicest you could ever meet...

They were both sweet souls. Both hardly drank, both were always either baking or cooking, both fell ill... I know Mamo Gavin passed away when I was 16, and it was a few years before Mamo followed. Wish they could have seen how we turned out, they'd be so proud.
They both suffered with their weight, like myself, and I know they both had a sweet tooth, so I know where those parts are coming from... Giggle.

Mamo was the one who'd sneak us a buttered sandwich behind her back so our parents wouldn't see, it was the really creamy kind of butter we didn't have. I used to love that. She'd be so proud when we sang or played the tin-whistle, or danced, clapping her hands cheering us on. She'd also sneak us sweeties. As she was diabetic, she couldn't have any, but she loved giving them. Or a few pounds to spend on ourselves...

What I remember about Mamo Gavin, was the way she held herself, always smartly dressed, always smiling. She used to bake cakes all the time, and she was so careful about what she ate. I remember she loved Philidelpia spread, I used to think it was some posh cream cheese. Mum never had any, and I thought it was for adults. She also used to have Wagon Wheels in the cupboard, and would give us one as a treat at times.

I'm always told I look like both grandmothers, as well as my mother. It's such a nice compliment. I hope I can be as strong as them in the future.

xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to call her Mamó Gavin too! And I remember too that she was always so smartly dressed & really looked after herself. She was so kind.
You do look so much like her, I think of her everytime I see you. :)
Now I know where my love of philadelphia cheese comes from! ;)

M. xxx